This is what an old industrial darning machine looks like. It has about a 2-1/2 inch cylinder base. Great I suppose for darning socks but not for quilting. My original design was to cut a hole in a table and drop the machine down making it level with the table. When I did that, I was unable to use the industrial motor and bobbin winder because it was too much to cut out of the table and the table would no longer have been a table, it would have just been a big hole with legs. I had attached a home sewing machine motor with a regular foot pedal. If you read here, it didn’t work.
So back went the darn darner on its original table and as it sat it was useless as a quilting machine. Woe was me. I thought ok, I can build a table around it but all I had around was plywood. I didn’t know if I painted it in a gloss paint and maybe waxed it, if it would have enough slip and slide to work but I was going to try my best. I drew a template around the machine – I used news paper and cut and taped it around the machine and I was almost done when I ran out of tape. While I was up looking for more tape, I banged against a filing cabinet and a piece of Plexiglas fell out. When things like that happen, it reaffirms to me that there is definitely a higher power. Plexiglas was perfect. I got the Plexiglas cut, screwed pieces of wood on the bottom to raise it to machine level and slip slid it went right in. I probably could have gone a tad closer to the cylinder but that is hard to figure, I was using the sides as my guide.
As you can see in this picture, it looks as if there is a gap and there is but it is close enough to work, especially when I put my Supreme glider on. Now I have my own mid arm machine. Yeah!